Thursday, July 17, 2014

Foreword to adventure

Hard to believe that in three nights time, I'll be sleeping in a hostel in Hungary. I've wanted to go to Budapest for the last two years since I read a fascinating article about the city in an inflight magazine while flying to Helsinki. I'm not sure why but a lightbulb went off in my head and I knew then I had to go there. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it there on my last trip around Europe so this year

I've hardly had time to even think about my trip. It's always been something that's up ahead in the future but still so far off. Even as the days remaining have narrowed to single digits, I still haven't grasped the concept that the time has come. But come it has and I think the timing is just right. The last couple of months have been stressful and tiring. This year I've push myself to the extremities in many aspects of my life and I need to break out and disappear if only for 2 weeks.

There's always been something that appeals to me about just putting my bag on my back, grabbing a map and off I go. As the old phrase goes "its the journey that counts, not the destination". This year i've decided to be more flexible in my travel plans. Only the start and end point are set in stone. The rest I'll decide as I go on. A friend of mine once told me that having a plan goes against the spirit of interrailing. There's a big internal battle being my need to organised and my desire to be spontaneous. Last years trip was carefully planned and at times I felt under pressure to meet deadlines. I'd like to see how my friend's approach works for me.

And yes I am travelling alone. I find it fascinating how alien this concept seems to be for people to grasp. For me the idea of the sole traveller is the ultimate experience as it pushes you out of your comfort zone and forces you to interact with strangers.

I'll try to keep the blog up to date as a I travel... let's see where this journey takes me


No comments: